kolun9iThe role of scripts and admins in maintaining order
Hey. I have been playing commander battle for a very long time, and I love the server eu_commander for its stability. However, there are some controversial things that I would like to bring to the discussion. 

It's about the rules. Initially, the mount and blade game is imperfect, there is a huge scope for cheating and spoiling the game, and therefore on the server there are a huge number of rules that are disadvantageous for the player. It is justified, it is necessary, and makes the game better. Problems begin when the human factor comes into play. It is expected that many players do not want to follow the rules, and control is needed, for which there are dozens of admins on the server. Situations happen absolutely regularly when admins simply do not see violations, and when other players turn their attention to them, admins ask for evidence, since they did not notice. Admins often interpret violations in their own way, inventing their own rules and criteria on the go. It makes no sense to complain about such incidents, because the server management does not even respond to obvious excesses of admin privileges. Playing in such an atmosphere of injustice and unpredictability is uncomfortable.

In addition, the function of admins is very doubtful. In fact, 90% of the messages that the player should dismount, the rest about the fact that you can not ramboing or swear.
The main problem, in my opinion, is that the control method does not correspond to the types of violation. Admins are people, they are less likely to detect minor and frequent violations, they are unable to promptly and impartially respond to them, but they can understand rare and complex situations, such as conflicts.

I can talk for a long time about admin ethics and the distribution of roles and powers of the admin and the player, since I myself have been an administrator for 2 years, and the players could even insult me as an equal player, not fearing bans, but being afraid to break a few but unambiguous rules, but instead I will offer some useful solutions.

1. The most common problem - players do not dismount when necessary. In half the cases, admins will not notice this. This is exactly the case where human control is a bit like nailing with a microscope. The simplest trigger that causes horses, for example, 15hp damage every second, if the player is alone on the horse in the squad, will leave enough time to escape from the battlefield, but will make the game ramboing and delaying impossible. And, most importantly, the script has no mood! Unpleasant situations will still be possible when, for example, the horse suddenly died during the battle, but this is a rule, not an interpretation of the admin, and everyone will be equal. Technically, this is elementary done, I can help with the code.
Already at this stage, 75% of admins can simply be dissolved.

2. Modify the anti-rambo script a bit, namely, “if a player remains 1 in the squad, then upon impact we check the distance not to the member of his squad, but to the nearest allied bot”.
At this stage, any ramboing is defeated, and players will be able, with a clear conscience, to do what they can technically without fear of comments.

3. Correct the rules. We need a few clear rules. This horror, like "if you are in an attack, you can not dismount, but if you dismounted, then you can’t attack" can be thrown away. To leave things in the rules like a ban to interfere with artillery and mention of illegal actions, such as racism, threats, etc. (in my opinion, it’s pointless to ban for obscene language, especially for insulting “their majesty” admins, since the essence of the administration is not in untouchability but in duties and powers), but I understand that it is unlikely.

By completing only these 3 points we will get a comfortable and predictable game, many times easier task for administrators, and avoid many conflict situations

I have some more interesting thoughts on improving the gameplay, but I decided to start with the main one, and I hope that the server’s management takes care of the its future.

Wish you all the best.

Messages In This Thread
The role of scripts and admins in maintaining order - by kolun9i - 07-07-2020, 10:59 AM